Spanish tennis star Rafael Nadal, who had said days ago that he would announce Saturday whether or not he will play the U.S. Open, has put off that decision until next week.

The world No. 2 is recovering from a right-wrist injury that forced him to withdraw from two U.S. Open tune-up events: last week's Rogers Cup in Toronto and this week's Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati.

His announcement will be made at the beginning of next week, before the U.S. Open draw is unveiled, Nadal's manager said on Twitter.

Nadal injured his right wrist during a training session on July 30.

The Spaniard swept the major North American hard-court tournaments in 2013, defeating Canadian Milos Raonic in the final of the Rogers Cup, played last year in Montreal; American John Isner in the Cincinnati final; and current world No. 1 Novak Djokovic of Serbia in the U.S. Open championship match.

This year's U.S. Open, the last Grand Slam tournament on the tennis calendar, gets underway on Aug. 25.

Known for his physically demanding style of play and outstanding defensive skills, the 14-time Grand Slam singles champion has struggled to stay healthy during his career and been forced to miss each of the four Grand Slam events in past years due to various injuries. 

Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino