Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert will have no need to worry about the FA Cup being a distraction this season after League One Sheffield United dumped his side out in the upset of the third round.

Lambert had said earlier this week the cup was something he could do without and his side fell behind at Villa Park thanks to Jamie Murphy's deflected strike for the Blades.

Nicklas Helenius levelled for Villa but Ryan Flynn's superb strike gave United a 2-1 victory and a place in the fourth round.

Championship side Leeds were another side to be on the receiving end of an upset as they lost 2-0 at Rochdale .

Scott Hogan and Ian Henderson got the goals at Spotland as the League Two side enjoyed a memorable triumph.

Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made a winning start to his reign as his side came from behind to win 2-1 at Newcastle .

Papiss Cisse had put the Magpies ahead at St James' Park but substitutes Craig Noone and Fraizer Campbell hit back for the Bluebirds.

Non-league Macclesfield earned themselves a replay as they drew 1-1 with second-tier Sheffield Wednesday .

Reda Johnson had put the Owls ahead at Moss Rose but Steve Williams' strike earned the hosts the chance to do it all again at Hillsborough.

Third-tier side Stevenage knocked out Championship Doncaster with a 3-2 win at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Francois Zoko and Peter Hartley gave Boro a 2-0 lead before Harry Forrester pulled a goal back for Rovers.

But Darius Charles made it 3-1 before Liam Wakefield's late consolation.

Coventry were another League One side to beat Championship opposition as they beat Barnsley 2-1 at Oakwell.

Jim O'Brien had put the Tykes ahead but Franck Moussa and Leon Clarke hit back for the Sky Blues with late goals.

Championship strugglers Millwall , last year's semi-finalists, were hammered 4-1 at League Two Southend .

Barry Corr's header put Southend ahead before Jermaine Easter was sent off for the Lions on the stroke of half-time, with Will Atkinson finding time to double the hosts lead before the interval.

Michael Timlin made it 3-0 before Martyn Woolford pulled one back, but Ryan Leonard had the last word.

Cup holders Wigan face a replay at MK Dons after the two sides played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at the DW Stadium.

Wigan led 2-0 through Roger Espinoza and Jordi Gomez, only for Ben Reeves to score twice for the Dons in first-half stoppage time.

Shaun Williams then missed a penalty for the visitors and Callum McManaman capitalised to put Wigan back in front.

However, Patrick Bamford found a leveller for force a replay.

Everton romped to a comfortable 4-0 win over QPR as Ross Barkley, Nikica Jelavic (2) and Seamus Coleman got the goals, with Jelavic also missing a penalty.

Southampton came out 4-3 winners in a seven-goal thriller against Championship high-fliers Burnley .

Saints had led through goals from Nathaniel Clyne and Rickie Lambert, only for Sam Vokes and Danny Ings to level things up.

Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana re-established Southampton's two-goal cushion, meaning Kevin Long's late header was not enough for the Clarets.

Dwight Gayle and Marouane Chamakh got the goals as Crystal Palace won 2-0 at West Brom while Championship Huddersfield scored two late goals to win 3-2 at non-league Grimsby .

Ross Hannah and Craig Disley twice had the Mariners ahead but Oliver Norwood and Martin Paterson equalised for the Terriers before Aswad Thomas' last-gasp own goal gave the visitors victory.