MADRID (AP) – Barcelona and Real Madrid have been placed on separate sides of the Copa del Rey draw, with the latter on the same half as defending champion Atletico Madrid .
Atletico beat Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in May's final and another Madrid derby could take place in the semifinals following Friday's draw for the last 32.
There were scenes of jubilation outside Valencia after third-tier Olimpic Xativa was drawn against Madrid for the next round, with the two legs scheduled for Jan. 8 and 15.
Similar scenes were experienced in Cartagena after the third division club was drawn against Barcelona.
Atletico opens its defense against the Barcelona-based third-tier Sant-Andreu club.
The 20 topflight clubs join the domestic cup competition with this round.
Copa Del Rey draw:
1. Real Valladolid v Rayo Vallecano
2. Recreativo Huelva v Levante
3. Cartagena v Barcelona
4. Girona v Getafe
5. Algeciras v Real Sociedad
6. Villarreal v Elche
7. Las Palmas v Almeria
8. Real Racing Club v Sevilla
9. Alcorcon v Granada
10. Real Jaen v Espanyol
11. Olimpic Xativa v Real Madrid
12. Malaga v Osasuna
13. Gimnastic de Tarragona v Valencia
14. Sant Andreu v Atletico Madrid
15. Lleida v Real Betis
16. Celta Vigo v Athletic Bilbao