Mon, 29 Jul 2013 17:55:00 – Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes says the main message he and his team-mates have received from new coach Gerardo Martino is that they must retain their hunger for winning trophies.
The Argentinian coach met his new squad and coaching staff for the first time on Saturday morning before watching them trounce Norwegian side Valerenga 7-0 in Oslo.
Martino takes over a side that in the past five years has won four Primera Division titles, two Champions League trophies and the Copa del Rey twice.
But speaking during a promotional day in Barcelona, Valdes revealed that the new boss has urged his players to keep on striving for even more success.
"He told us that we cannot lose our desire to win," he said. "We were only able to speak for a little bit, but we could see he was very excited, this is a huge project.
"He'll want to make his own mark on the team and show his personality. He seems like a coach who is very close to his players.
"Above all, he asked us to keep on winning. Little by little we will start to see what his style is."
Martino is the sixth coach Valdes has worked with in his 11-year career with the Catalan side, and he insisted the team will treat their new boss like any other.
"The squad has always adapted to every coach we have had, " he added.
"We are a team of very good sportsmen and very good people and we will carry out the orders he gives us, as we have done with every other coach.
"He has told us that he will also try and adapt to the team so he doesn't change the dynamics too much. I think he is a very positive appointment."
Valdes, whose contract with Barcelona expires next June, confirmed he would leave the club at the end of the 2013-14 campaign, stressing that "it will be a very special season".
The former Southampton youth-team prospect, 23, joined the Bees in 2009 and went on to make more than 60 appearances for the London club, prompting an approach from the Bluebirds.
"We would have loved to have kept him but we wish him all the luck in the world," Rosler told the club's official website.
"He has the capability to step up to that level, he has a lot to learn but with Cardiff manager Malky Mackay and his coaching team, he is in good hands.
"We have all our young players on long-term contracts and if clubs come in for them, they have to pay.
"He had a good season last year and like Tom Adeyemi, who joined Birmingham City, he deserved the move upwards."
Moore moves to City for an undisclosed transfer fee while Brentford sporting director Mark Warburton has given Rosler the green light to find a suitable replacement.
City manager Malky Mackay had previously confirmed a deal had been agreed with the Bees, with the 23-year-old becoming a Bluebird on Monday after the necessary paperwork was completed.
Moore told Cardiff City Player: "I'm delighted to be at Cardiff City - to play in the Premier League has always been my goal.
"It's exciting to think that I'll be working with quality goalkeepers like David Marshall and Joe Lewis on a daily basis and I know that I can develop and learn from them."
Moore is set to be quickly reunited with his former team-mates as Cardiff travel to face Brentford in a pre-season friendly on Tuesday night.
Moore started his career in the Southampton academy and had a spell with Farnborough Town before joining Brentford in 2009. He kept 13 clean sheets in 52 appearances last term.
Mackay said: "We have been watching Simon for a year or so - he is a real up-and-coming goalkeeper.
"My thanks go to Brentford for the way they went about their business and we are delighted to get Simon in for the start of our season.
"He is one for the future and we have three quality senior goalkeepers in our squad.''
Moore becomes Cardiff's third summer acquisition as the club prepare for their maiden Premier League season, striker Andreas Cornelius and defender John Brayford having already arrived at Cardiff City Stadium.
The Welsh club have also had an offer of around Â£9.5million accepted for Toulouse's French international midfielder Etienne Capoue, and are hoping to convince the 25-year-old his future lies in south Wales, despite reports he is keen on a move to Spain.
Cardiff have also announced that director Mehmet Dalman has taken over as the club's chairman with immediate effect.
Investment banker Dalman takes over from Simon Lim, who had been acting chairman following Dato Chan Tien Ghee's decision to step down in March.
Lim will continue as the Bluebirds' chief executive.
Cypriot Dalman, who has previously worked with Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse, told the club's official website: ''I am honoured to take up the role of club chairman at Cardiff City Football Club.
''I have enjoyed my time at the club since joining the board of directors in January 2012 and now relish the opportunity to contribute further in my additional role as chairman with Cardiff City in the Barclays Premier League.''
Paolo Di Canio's men will face Danish Superliga side FC Midtjylland at the MCH Arena in Herning, on Wednesday, August 7 (kick-off 6pm kick-off local time, 5pm BST).
The Black Cats have played only two matches to date, defeating Tottenham 3-1 in the Barclays Asia Trophy semi-finals before losing 1-0 to Manchester City in the final.
However, their 10-day training camp in Italy included two behind-closed-doors friendlies.
Di Canio and his squad returned from the Far East on Monday and will resume work on Wearside before heading for Scandinavia.
Jesse Lingard curled home a brilliant effort to round off the win, ensuring he finished the tour of the Far East and Australia as top scorer on four.
Adnan Januzaj also converted with a neat header whilst Wilfried Zaha again looked good, particularly in the first-half.
"A couple of the young lads, Adnan and Jesse Lingard, who I didn't know as much about, did well and Wilfried Zaha, who has just joined, he has shown what he is capable of in the games he has played," said Moyes.
"I think they will go away from the trip feeling they have contributed to it."
Lingard and Januzaj have certainly put forward a forceful case for remaining at Old Trafford, rather than heading out on loan as almost certainly would have happened if Sir Alex Ferguson had remained in charge.
Yet Moyes' squad is still to take shape given he has not even met Javier Hernandez and Antonio Valencia yet, whilst skipper Nemanja Vidic and winger Nani are amongst those who missed the tour through injury.
The near three-week trip has been an eye-opening experience for Moyes, who now understands the global appeal of the club he has joined from Everton.
"I am taking away the great experience of my first trip with Manchester United in general and what the football club means around the world," he said.
"I have also had a chance to get to know the players and try to settle into my new environment and for the players to get to know me as well.
"They have been working with a great manager for a long time a lot of them, so it is going to take time.
"But I have really enjoyed working with them. They have been incredibly professional.
"I can see why they are champions because of the way they conduct themselves and go about their business.
"I have been very impressed."
Moyes paid tribute to his players for the way they performed on what Paolo di Canio described as a "killer" pitch just six days ago.
He even felt confident enough to introduce Robin van Persie near the end, although his star man could not add to earlier goals from Danny Welbeck, Chris Smalling and Fabio before the youngsters entered the fray.
Yet Moyes is also aware United go back with no new arrivals and the issue of Wayne Rooney, who is expected to be fit for the club's next friendly, against AIK Solna in Stockholm on August 6, lingering.
"I couldn't give you any more update than I have said before," said Moyes, before head to the airport and the flight home.
The new Manchester United boss asked the Professional Footballers' Association for financial assistance as, at the time, he had just taken over as Preston manager after a career in the lower leagues and simply did not have the resources for the expedition.
The PFA did help him out, yet the Scot still ended up sleeping in his car as he travelled across France.
It is a fascinating insight, given during an interview in Hong Kong, and helps underline why Sir Alex Ferguson had no doubt Moyes was the right man to succeed him when he stepped down as Manchester United manager in May.
"I wasn't earning enough at the time but I was given some funding," said Moyes.
"I hired a small car. In the end I drove round and had to sleep in the car a few nights.
"But I wanted to try and learn. I watched Craig Brown. I sat in the stand and watched him taking the sessions for Scotland. When I was younger I went to see AC Milan train.
"That is the kind of thing I did to try and find some more knowledge."
There is a story behind that AC Milan experience.
After defeat at Goodison Park in 2011, Carlo Ancelotti - Milan coach at the time of Moyes' visit - was unceremoniously sacked by Chelsea before he even got on the team bus to leave the ground.
"Carlo was in the corridor," recalled Moyes.
"I saw him and stood and talked to him. He said 'I have lost my job and David, I am going to come and watch you training now'.
"It showed me even he had recognised I had been at training at AC Milan at that time. I took what he said as a big compliment."
Much earlier, as a player at Dunfermline, Moyes used to drive into England on his day off to take in a game, all the while processing information about coaching and tactical methods that led him to spend 11 successful years at Everton before moving onto, arguably, the biggest club job in Europe.
"I was always thinking about being involved in football," said Moyes of those early days.
Moyes' ascent has been gradual.
"Mine had to be a long, slow progression and, hopefully, improvement," he said.
But to watch him set up, and then run a training session is to experience a man in an environment he adores.
The buzz is obvious, both to players and detached observers.
And that, for all the media and commercial demands of his role, is the core of Moyes' job and why the Scot should be given a chance to succeed at Old Trafford, rather than be leapt on at the first sign of trouble.
In an era when sackings occur as a matter of routine and Blackburn managed to go through four bosses in a single season, Gary Neville described Moyes' appointment as a "result for sanity".
"I hope there was a little bit of commonsense in the decision," said Moyes.
"Manchester United have always tended to choose slightly differently than other clubs. They always look for longevity and stability.
"They are not a club that chops and changes its manager regularly.
"For that reason, it was more pleasing when I got offered the job because you know they are a club that is looking for someone who tends to stay around for quite a while."
Yet such calmness is easy when your manager has been winning trophies for 26 years.
Moyes has no such safety net. He has officially been in charge less than a month. In the cases of Javier Hernandez and Antonio Valencia, he has not even met some of his players yet. There is over a month left until the transfer window closes.
Yet some United fans have shown their impatience already, questioning the lack of new arrivals ahead of a campaign that admittedly begins with those three blockbuster fixtures out of the first five
"If you win one game folk will think you are good. If you lose one folk will think you are rubbish," said Moyes.
"You hope there is a little bit of sense and people understand where you are going.
"It is a big job. It is a new job.
"It will take time, as it would for anybody else."
And, it is worth remembering, not even Ferguson got everyone he wanted.
Ronaldinho, Wesley Sneijder, Alan Shearer. All high-profile targets who never made it to Old Trafford.
And Moyes has the added difficulty of operating in an already congested market place which cash-rich French duo Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco have now muscled their way into.
"That is not something Manchester United are frightened of," said Moyes.
"Manchester United are more than happy to compete with all of the teams.
"There has been a change in the dynamic because of PSG coming on the scene recently. That has altered things.
"But Manchester United will always compete.
"One thing it has got is the history. It has got the name. It has got the success.
"That is a big pull for any player."