Fri, 19 Jul 2013 06:58:00 – David Moyes has reiterated that Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is not for sale and is waiting for a response on his bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
Earlier this week, it emerged that Rooney has been left feeling 'angry and confused' by his treatment by United after he returned home early from the club's pre-season tour of Asia and Australia due to injury.
Rooney was reportedly unhappy at comments made by Moyes last weekend which have been interpreted as meaning that the England international is back-up to Robin van Persie.
United chief executive Ed Woodward also confirmed there are no imminent plans to discuss a new contract with the 27-year-old, who has two years to run on his existing deal.
Premier League rivals Chelsea subsequently confirmed a bid had been rejected for Rooney and Jose Mourinho stated that the forward is his only striking target.
However, speaking ahead of United's game against the A-League All Stars in Sydney on Saturday, Moyes confirmed the club's stance on Rooney had not changed.
"The club's position on Wayne Rooney is there's no change to that," stated Moyes.
Meanwhile, the United boss also expressed his hope that he is close to making his first signing after a bid was lodged for Cesc Fabregas.
The Premier League champions have also been linked with a swoop for Tottenham Hotspur attacker Gareth Bale and Moyes is keen to add to his squad.
He said: "As far as players are concerned, we're looking to bring some in and we're working hard to do that.
"We're trying very hard to make some additions to the squad and hopefully we'll have some good news in the not too distance future."
Regarding the offer for Fabregas, Moyes added: "I couldn't tell you exactly where we are with that, but I will hopefully know a little bit more in the next day.
"I might have a little bit more information about how it's going."
Woodward left United's pre-season tour ahead of schedule on Wednesday in order to return to Europe to carry out urgent transfer business, with it understood to concern a player arriving at Old Trafford.
He was due to return home on Sunday and his decision to cut short his trip to the Far East indicates the urgency of the situation requiring his attention.
Everton duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini have also been strongly tipped to join their former boss Moyes at United, with one offer for the England left-back already having been rejected.
And, while United await Barcelona's response to their bid for Fabregas, there could still be competition to sign the former Arsenal captain.
The Red Devils' opening bid of Â£25million, communicated to Barcelona on Monday, has sharpened interest from Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City .
For his part, Fabregas has repeatedly said he is happy in Catalonia, and that stance was reiterated by Barca boss Tito Vilanova on Tuesday as he said: "It's normal to receive offers for our players from other teams. We have very good players, and we have to be very happy to have Cesc with us.
"I am conscious that he has received offers for other teams, but I had a conversation with him and he let me know that we wanted to stay here, and his dream is to be successful here.
"So he is not thinking about any other club, not even for money or for minutes, even if he knows all the competition he has here with Xavi, Iniesta and also this year against Sergi and Roberto, but he told me that his dream is to be here. I'm not worried at all."
Red Devils goalkeeper David de Gea, meanwhile, would welcome Fabregas at Old Trafford .
He told the Daily Mail: "He is a great player, very skilful, knows how to win things and you always want those type of players in your team."