Wed, 03 Jul 2013 17:38:00 – Barcelona captain Carles Puyol is not ready to retire from football, despite injuries putting his career in jeopardy last season.
Puyol missed a large part of Barcelona's title-winning campaign with a knee injury that required a fourth operation.
The problem continues to hang over the 35-year-old as he prepares to return to training for pre-season, but he is determined to prove his worth.
Puyol only signed a new deal midway through last season - which runs out in June 2016 - and he believes he could yet play for Barca beyond that date, when he would be 38.
"Now is not the time. I will not retire," he said in an interview with El Mundo Deportivo.
"Right now I feel I want to fulfil my contract and, if I can, make it longer."
Puyol did reveal, however, that he could call time on his Spain career if it meant extending his spell at Nou Camp.
The defender, who has won 100 Spain caps, is set to hold talks with national team coach Vicente Del Bosque over his international future.
"I have a good relationship with Del Bosque and will not take a final decision or say anything until I talk to the coach," he said.
"My goal now is to recover from the knee injury and then next season, we'll see. I always take the best decision for Barcelona."
Speaking about his recovery from knee surgery, he added: "I am recovering slowly but progressing very well.
"This operation is not like the others: the post-operative period is more painful but the recovery is faster.
"My idea is to train on the first day of pre-season, though maybe not with the group at first."
The 21-year-old had fallen down the pecking order at Anfield and whe the two clubs agreed a fee late yesterday a deal was concluded quickly.
Shelvey travelled to south Wales on Wednesday morning and agreed personal terms and completed a medical.
"Liverpool Football Club have confirmed Jonjo Shelvey has completed a transfer to Swansea City," said a Reds statement.
"Everybody at Liverpool FC would like to wish Jonjo all the best for the future."
Shelvey spent three years at Anfield after joining from Charlton in May 2010 for a fee of Â£1.7million.
He made 69 appearances for the Reds, scoring seven goals.
Swansea will pay the Â£5million up front with other add-ons accounting for a further Â£1million and the midfielder will now join the rest of Swansea's squad for their pre-season tour of Holland.
Chairman Huw Jenkins had spoken of the need to increase their quota of homegrown players and Shelvey, an established England Under-21 international who made his senior debut against San Marino last year, fits the bill.
"We have got to make sure that the make-up of our squad is right," Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins told the South Wales Echo.
"And obviously part of that is making sure that we have so many British players in there.
"We have got to do that - there is no choice because they are the rules."
On Tuesday the club signed midfielder Alejandro Pozuelo from Real Betis, who became the third Spaniard to sign in the past week after former Betis team-mate Jose Canas and Espanyol's Jordi Amat joined.
The club also brought in Gregor Zabret from Slovenian side NK Domzale and Cypriot Alex Gogic from Olympiakos on a free transfer, with both teenagers expected to go into the reserves initially.