Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:51:00 – Bournemouth have lured Spanish powerhouse Real Madrid to Dean Court for a glamour friendly later this month.
Carlo Ancelotti will bring his side to the south coast on Sunday, 21 July (kick-off 7.45pm) in a fixture the Cherries have clinched to celebrate their promotion to the Championship.
Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell told Sky Sports News the coup was down to a chance encounter - and said he expected stars such as Ronaldo to turn out against Eddie Howe's team.
"It's fate really," Mitchell said. "My son was talking to a mutual friend who knows people at Real Madrid and got chatting about a possible exhibition match and we've worked hard over the last three or four weeks to finalise things.
"I'm over the moon for the supporters. It'll be a great night for them to see some of the best players in the world and for our players to pit themselves against them.
"We're going to see Ronaldo for sure. And it'll be (Zinedine) Zidane's first game as Carlo Ancelotti's coach. The only ones who won't be there are those that have played in the Confederations Cup."
An adult ticket will cost Â£60, with a Â£5 discount for season-ticket holders, while U16s will pay at least Â£25, but Mitchell insisted the prices were fair.
"I think for the club it's priceless," he added. "It's showcasing what we can do on a matchday against a special team - some of the world's best players.
"So, no, I don't think it's too expensive; it's a great opportunity."
The burly 31-year-old striker was deemed surplus to requirements at Sixfields following the Cobblers' League Two play-off final defeat to Bradford.
But Akinfenwa will be playing third-tier football next term with League Two champions Gills, whom he previously joined in 2010 from Northampton and enjoyed a single season before returning to Sixfields in 2011.
The frontman bagged 11 goals in 46 appearances during his last stay at Priestfield.
Manager Martin Allen told the club's official website: "We have signed Bayo Akinfenwa, whose goal ratio over the last two years of 34 goals from 63 appearances is outstanding.
"He has signed a one-year contract and it is my gut feeling that he will do well in a Gillingham shirt, playing for the club that he loves.
"Opposition teams cannot handle him, or deal with him, and I'm sure, with the passion of our supporters, that he will respond on the big stage called Priestfield.
"I have given him squad number 19 and he will be a very valuable member of our squad, on and off-the-field."
Carsley, who was working as development coach with the Sky Blues, links up with new Blades boss and former Everton team-mate David Weir.
The 39-year-old leaves the midlands club after two playing spells, retiring in 2011 to move into coaching.
He quickly progressed through the coaching ranks from the Under-18s to City's Under-21 side, before becoming involved in the first-team set-up and even taking the reins as caretaker boss last season after the departure of Mark Robins.
Current Coventry manager Steven Pressley said: "Lee has been a highly valued and tremendously popular figure among both the club's players and staff and I have certainly enjoyed working with him since I arrived here.
"I do though fully appreciate that this opportunity is one he could not turn down and I wish him nothing but the best of luck and offer my heartfelt congratulations on his new role."
Carsley's official title at Bramall Lane is assistant manager (technical) and he will work alongside assistant manager (performance) Adam Owen.
Weir told United's official website: "Lee is someone I trust immensely and I'm delighted that we've been able to recruit him. His experience at this level will prove invaluable to us and he was successful as boss of Coventry in a short spell last season."