Thu, 20 Jun 2013 16:41:00 – New St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright has confirmed he has quit his coaching role with Northern Ireland.
Wright has decided to concentrate on events at McDiarmid Park after succeeding Steve Lomas, who quit the club to join Millwall last week.
The decision was taken after talks with Saints chairman Steve Brown and Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill.
Wright said in a statement on the Irish Football Association website: "Following discussions with my chairman, Michael O'Neill and my family I have decided to step down from the position of Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach.
"The decision was not taken lightly but I feel that the demands of being manager of St Johnstone FC require me to be totally committed to that position.
"I would like to thank the chairman and board of directors at the club for allowing me to work with the international team over the past 15 months and it has been a position that I have been honoured to hold.
"Finally, I would like thank Michael for the opportunity to work alongside him and Billy (McKinlay) and I wish them and the squad all the best for the remainder of the World Cup campaign."
Worrall completed his move to the New York Stadium for an undisclosed fee on Thursday but Day has made it clear that Shakers manager Kevin Blackwell was keen to retain the 23-year-old for the forthcoming League Two campaign.
As such, the recently installed Gigg Lane chief went on to offer assurances to fans on the club's official website.
Day's statement read: "As the chairman of this club, I think it's essential that the fans have access to all information and reasoning behind the decisions we as a board have to make.
"I was approached by the agent of David Worrall and it was made clear to me that the player no longer wished to play for the club. I stated that he was part of the manager's plans and the new board wanted him to stay.
"He made it clear that if we did not allow him to move, then the player would exercise his rights to move as soon as he was contractually entitled.
"As a result we had to make a decision based on the best interests of Bury Football Club. The player was therefore sold.
"I wanted to make it clear to any fan that feels we are selling our best players that this is definitely not the case and the next few weeks will demonstrate the quality of players we have targeted to bring into this club.
"We do not want to keep any player that is not prepared to give this club 100 per cent. We will update you on all new signings as soon as they have been secured."
The 22-year-old midfielder impressed during a 10-game loan stint with Latics at the end of last season and was recently left Carrow Road, where he graduated from the youth system.
Smith also enjoyed a spell at Yeovil earlier in the season where he played under Gary Johnson, the father of Oldham boss Lee.
He will official become a member of the Boundary Park staff on July 1.
Bowen and Niedzwiecki, who have worked with Hughes at several previous clubs, have been appointed as assistant manager and first team coach, respectively.
The three men first worked together with Wales before stints at Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City, Fulham and Queens Park Rangers.
"They're the best at what they do in my opinion," Hughes told the club's official website.
"That is why they have worked alongside me for so long. They are both outstanding coaches, while they also have a real understanding of the game and how I like things to be.
"So that means when you go to a new club, you hit the ground running and everybody in the squad is up to speed.
"I'm pleased that they are joining us because I'm sure I will benefit from that and so too will Stoke City."
Chief executive Tony Scholes said: "Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki have been key members of Mark Hughes' backroom team for some time now and he was therefore eager to have them working with him once again here.
"They both have outstanding pedigree as coaches and we are delighted that they have now agreed to join Mark's new team."
Former Doncaster, Oldham and Bristol Rovers boss Penney takes the role of assistant manager from Graham Coughlan, who in turn becomes first-team coach, while Shaw arrives as head of recruitment and scouting.
Shrimpers manager Phil Brown told the club's official website: "I'm thrilled that Dave has joined the club and I'm sure the whole team will benefit from having him around.
"He has an excellent understanding of this level having won promotion with Doncaster back in 2003/04.
"Bob will have to hit the ground running as we prepare for the new season, it will all move very quickly now in terms of identifying players who he feels can come in and do a good job for us."
Brown added: "I'm delighted to have kept Graham here. His passion and knowledge was first class last season and he was a huge help to me after I was appointed manager. He works extremely hard and is very good at getting the best out of players, he will have an important role to play throughout the season."
Meanwhile, Seedy Njie and Ryan Augur have both penned one-year professional contracts with Southend.
Striker Njie rose through the ranks to make his first-team debut as a substitute in last season's Capital One Cup defeat at Peterborough before again stepping off the bench in the final game of the campaign against Morecambe.
Right-back Augur, 19, has been at the club since the age of 11 although he is yet to make his first-team debut.
The news comes after winger Mitchell Pinnock, another Academy product, signed his first pro deal with the League Two club last month.
Bantams boss Phil Parkinson revealed last month that the 36-year-old would be offered a new contract and now the formalities with the former Rochdale man have been completed.
"I am raring to go, the manager is raring to go, I think we all can't wait to get started again," Jones told City's official website.
"There are a lot of big clubs in League One now and hopefully we can get Valley Parade rocking again next season as it was this year.
"I have absolutely loved playing my football here, this is a great club with great fans, and I am really looking to the season ahead."
Eastham was released by the Seasiders at the end of last season, during which he enjoyed a second lengthy loan spell with Dale's fierce local rivals Bury.
The 22-year-old told his new club's official website: "I want to flourish into the player I believe I can be and I am definitely in the right place to do that.
"I had a couple of offers from some sides in the league above and a couple in this division but Keith and Chris laid out their intentions for Rochdale Football Club and showed a big desire for me to sign.
"In the early days at Blackpool the manager Ian Holloway really liked me and I had a couple of games in the first team and was told I did well in those games.
"However, I needed to play regularly and the gaffer said honestly I wasn't ready at that time so I was loaned out to gain experience.
"I have had four loan spells, twice at Cheltenham and twice at Bury and I believe those experiences have moulded me into the player I am now."