Famed – and controversial – baseball slugger Jose Canseco says he was the “victim” in the sexual assault case against him.

The Cuban-American former baseball outfielder had taken to Twitter to defend himself against a Las Vegas woman’s claim that he raped her. He vowed to set out and prove he was innocent.

On Friday, Las Vegas police announced they would not seek criminal charges against Canseco, and deemed the case closed, said Officer Jose Hernandez.

"It was an outright lie. I proved it by taking two lie detector tests. I am the victim here."

- Jose Canseco

Canseco, 48, said he was victimized by the allegation and he wants to sue his accuser.

"She alleged I drugged her and raped her," Canseco said in a telephone interview. "It was an outright lie. I proved it by taking two lie detector tests. I am the victim here."

Canseco drew intense criticism for posting the woman's name and workplace. Some of the information was later removed, but Canseco told AP at the time that he didn't regret posting it.

"If you have nothing to hide, why hide it?" he said.

The former Oakland Athletics outfielder hit 462 career home runs and was a six-time All-Star during stints with seven major league teams from 1985 to 2001. He also played for Texas, Boston, Toronto, Tampa Bay, the New York Yankees and Chicago White Sox.

He admitted in a 2005 tell-all book, "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big," that he used performance-enhancing steroids.

Canseco went through Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation last year in Las Vegas. He listed a post office box as his address at the time, and reported less than $21,000 in assets and almost $1.7 million in liabilities, including more than $500,000 owed to the Internal Revenue Service.

In recent years, Canseco has played for various teams in California, Arizona, Mexico and Canada.

Based on reporting by The Associated Press.

Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino