Santos has rejected Spanish powerhouse FC Barcelona's offer for star striker Neymar, senior officials with the Brazilian club said.

Santos Vice President Odilio Rodrigues told local media that the bid was not in the club's interests after a meeting at the home of team President Luis Alvaro Ribeiro.

Brazilian media have speculated that Barcelona offered Santos approximately 20 million euros ($25.8 million) to release Neymar, even though the buyout clause in his contract is set at 65 million euros ($84 million).

Neymar's contract expires in July 2014 but as of January of that year he could sign a pre-contract for a post-World Cup move to another club, in which case Santos would not receive any compensation.

Rodrigues said Real Madrid also had expressed interest in the 21-year-old star but he refused to confirm whether Santos had received an offer from Barcelona's arch-rival, adding that he would only speak about "concrete facts," the Globoesporte sports Web site reported.

Rio daily O Globo reported Tuesday that Neymar had already signed an agreement with Barça requiring him to report to the Spanish club in July after this summer's FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil. EFE