Marseille humbled newly-promoted side Guingamp 3-1 in the French league on Sunday, with new signing Dimitri Payet scoring twice on his debut.

It was a dismal return to the top flight for Guingamp, which finished runner-up to Monaco in Ligue 2 last season, as it found itself 3-0 down after a quarter of an hour following several defensive mistakes.

Andre-Pierre Gignac scored an early opener for Marseille before a swift double for Payet, who was signed from Ligue 1 rivals Lille in the offseason.

Guingamp had a chance to get back into the game early in the second half but Mustapha Yatabare saw his penalty saved after Souleymane Diawara was harshly adjudged to have fouled Steeven Langil.

However, Marseille was eventually made to pay for its frailty in defense - which will be of concern to coach Elie Baup - as Yatabare scored in the 74th minute.

Earlier, Saint-Etienne strolled to a 1-0 win at Ajaccio as Fabrizio Ravanelli's first match in charge of the Corsican side ended in disappointment.

Marseille, which finished runner-up to Paris Saint-Germain last season, got off to a perfect start as it was gifted the lead in the second minute.

Andre Ayew's shot was parried by Guingamp goalkeeper Mamadou Samassa but straight to the feet of Gignac, who drilled the ball into the empty net.

The visitors doubled their lead less than two minute later, with Payet slotting into the bottom left corner after Guingamp midfielder Christophe Kerbrat failed to deal with Ayew's cross.

Payet grabbed his second of the game in the 16th minute. Benjamin Mendy's cross eluded everyone and went out to Mathieu Valbuena on the far right of the penalty area. Samassa parried his shot but the defense failed to clear the ball and Payet bundled it in.

Guingamp - which is back in the top flight after a nine-year absence - had the ball in the back of the net shortly before halftime but Langil's header was ruled out for offside.

However, the home side had started to pose more of a threat and it was awarded a penalty in the 53rd minute but Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda dove smartly to his right to keep out Yatabare's spot kick.

Marseille was looking vulnerable at the back and another mistake allowed Guingamp to score. Reynald Lemaitre dispossessed Nicolas N'Koulou on the edge of the area and crossed in for Yatabare - the top scorer in the second division last year - to tap home.