Father knows best, at least that’s what Yankees' fans are hoping.

Robinson Cano's father said he expects the New York Yankees to renew their All-Star second baseman rather than let him go after the season.

Jose Cano said he hopes Robinson will spend his entire career in New York and thinks he will get a six- or seven-year contract. He made his comments at the Yankees' spring training complex, where the Dominican Republic's World Baseball Classic team is training. Robinson is a member of the squad and his dad is a coach.

The Dominican Republic will play the second of two exhibition games Wednesday against the Yankees in Tampa.

Just last week Cano, 29, said his contract status is on his mind, though not a distraction.

Cano is due $15 million in the final season of what became a $57 million, six-year deal and is eligible for free agency after the World Series.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team had made a significant offer during the off-season to Cano's agent, Scott Boras. Cano declined to address the matter Friday but did say: "It's never going to go out of your head."

"I don't want to be a distraction to the team," Cano added. "Just focus on playing baseball."

He hit .313 with 33 homers and 94 RBIs last year but was 3 for 40 (.075) with no homers and four RBIs during the playoffs, including a postseason-record 0-for-29 skid.

"I have one more year on my contract," Cano said. "I have to perform and help the team win another championship."

Based on reporting by The Associated Press.

Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino