Midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme has agreed to return to Boca Juniors seven months after he abandoned the team, the club said Friday.
The 34-year-old Riquelme left Argentina's most popular side after Boca lost to Brazil's Corinthians in the 2012 Copa Libertadores final, saying that he felt "empty" and unmotivated.
He said much the same last month after several fruitless attempts to find a spot with another club in Argentina or Brazil.
But after Boca lost 2-1 last weekend in a pre-season friendly against archrival River Plate, Riquelme telephoned coach Carlos Bianchi and offered to return.
Riquelme, who has been part of six championship squads at Boca, will resume training with the team next Monday and start collecting a paycheck in March under his existing contract, club President Daniel Angelici said during a press conference late Friday. EFE