Well, it didn’t take long to get this one confirmed.
USA Today reports that UFC president Dana White has booked Jose Aldo –who just beat Frankie Edgar in a superfight this past Saturday– to fight Anthony Pettis, who will drop down from lightweight to featherweight on Aug. 3, in a location not yet chosen.
"Two of the baddest dudes in the fight business are going to fight at 145 pounds," White told the paper. "These guys are two of the most amazing, gravity-defying athletes in the sport. I am so pumped for this fight."
Aldo has moved up in the pound-for-pound rankings after impressive wins over Edgar and the rest of his division.
Pettis, who is awaiting a long sought shot at the lightweight title, decided he couldn’t wait for the winner of Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez.
The only person apparently angry about the exciting matchup is Ricardo Lamas, who beat former number one contender Eric Koch in a brutal fashion late last month on the company’s Fox card.
After Aldo’s UFC 156 fight, White said, Pettis texted him and told him he wanted to fight Aldo, giving Pettis the upper hand in the booking.
"I've put in the work at 145 pounds," Lamas told MMA Junkie. "I've done everything I need to do, and I should be next in line for that shot."