Tottenham cruised into the fourth round of the FA Cup after an easy 3-0 win over League One's Coventry City.

The Sky Blues were unable to replicate their 1987 Cup victory over Spurs, as the difference in pace and movement between the heights of the Premier League and League One proved stark at White Hart Lane.

Clint Dempsey opened the scoring when a Gylfi Sigurdsson free-kick was flicked on by Gareth Bale, with the American on hand to take a shot from inside the six-yard box high into the middle of the goal.

Bale lengthened Tottenham 's advance after a Dempsey shot deflected off Richard Wood and into the Welshman's path where he volleyed in his 11th goal of the season, closely followed by Dempsey's second of the game.

The American headed home a Bale corner, as a comfortable Tottenham looked set to continue their excellent home form, having only lost twice in 11 league games at the Lane this season.

The second half commenced in the same manner with which the first ended - Emmanuel Adebayor ran through on goal and looked set to put his side 4-0 up, only to be eased off the ball by William Edjenguele.

A missed opportunity from a Steven Caulker header was quickly followed up by a sparkling Bale free-kick that just flew wide of the goal, Coventry undeniably out of their depth as Spurs continued to up the tempo.

Mark Robins' men were unable to convert their sporadic chances; good approach play saw Adam Barton in space but his shot was well blocked by Caulker, and from the set piece Edjenguele's header was pushed out by Brad Friedel.

The increasing nerves among the away supporters were eased with just over 20 minutes to go when Andre Villas Boas replaced Bale with Andros Townsend, the tempo noticeably dropping after the Welshman's departure.

Coventry tried to grab a late consolation but Leon Clarke failed to control a Carl Barker cross, and after referee Michael Naylor did not respond to Spurs' shouts of handball against Edjenguele.

Dempsey looked set to secure a hat-trick in the final stages but was prevented by a Richard Wood block.