Turin-born Claudio Marchisio scored twice as Juventus saw off the challenge of 10-man Torino to extend their lead at the top of Serie A to five points.

Following a red card for Kamil Glik in the 36th minute, it seemed to be only a matter of time before Juve struck.

After Andrea Pirlo missed a penalty, Marchisio broke the deadlock in the 57th minute with Sebastian Giovinco adding a second 10 minutes later.

Marchisio wrapped up victory five minutes from time as the Bianconeri returned to winning ways and warmed up for a trip to Ukraine on Wednesday, when they face Shakhtar Donetsk in a decisive Champions League fixture.

Torino started the brighter and had the first chance when Riccardo Meggiorini got in behind the Juve defence, but he touched his shot past Gianluigi Buffon and wide of the far post.

Paul Pogba was prevented from putting Juve in front in the 26th minute when he was presented with the ball in a good position after Angelo Ogbonna and goalkeeper Jean-Francois Gillet clashed, but the official said he had committed a foul.

Pogba twice tested Gillet with powerful shots from distance, the first from just outside the penalty area was fumbled by the Torino goalkeeper and put behind for a corner by a defender while the second, from 35 yards, was punched over.

The complexion of the game changed in the 36th minute when Glik was shown a straight red card for a dangerous lunge at Emanuele Giaccherini.

Juve had the chance to go in front five minutes later, but Andrea Pirlo ballooned his penalty after Migjen Basha handled the ball in the area, and was lucky not to be shown a second yellow card.

Torino resisted until half-time but it was not long before their defence was breached.

Pogba headed a seemingly easy chance over the bar from five yards out in the 49th minute, but Juve's pressure finally told in the 57th minute when Marchisio dived in bravely to head in a cross from the right.

Ten minutes later Giovinco wrapped up victory with a well-struck shot beyond the reach of Gillet.

Pogba was denied again in the 70th minute as Gillet saved instinctively with his legs from the Frenchman's header before Nicklas Bendtner shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Torino bravely tried to respond, but Marchisio's second goal of the game, a mirror of Giovinco's goal from the other side of the penalty area, ended their hopes in the 84th minute.