Marouane Fellaini put Everton in front at Manchester City but then conceded a penalty kick that allowed Carlos Tevez to clinch a 1-1 draw for the Premier League champions on Saturday.

Fellaini headed in his eighth goal of the season in the 33rd minute at Etihad Stadium after City had failed to clear Leighton Baines' cross.

But Tevez also scored his eighth goal of the campaign 10 minutes later from the spot after Edin Dzeko had tangled with Fellaini.

It was Everton's seventh draw in its past nine games.

The result preserved City's unbeaten start to the Premier League season and prolonged its run of home games without defeat to 37, a sequence stretching back to a loss to Everton two years ago.

The match took some while to warm up and City was hit by an early blow as Aleksandar Kolarov limped off after just six minutes.

Manager Roberto Mancini had opted to rest the hard-working Pablo Zabaleta but the in-form Argentine was summoned from the bench straight away. Defender Joleon Lescott made an unexpected return to the side, to face his former club, in place of Matija Nastasic.

The England defender looked composed as he resumed his partnership with Vincent Kompany after more than a month out of the starting line-up.

Everton playmaker Leon Osman gave the City defense plenty to think about in the early stages without creating a clear-cut opening.

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard had to pick himself up from a collision with Dzeko after coming to claim a cross from Maicon, who looked dangerous in attack but vulnerable in defense.

City threatened the Everton goal in the 20th when David Silva crossed and Dzeko headed wide.

But Everton took the lead after Leighton Baines, who passed a fitness test to feature, crossed and Fellaini eventually headed in.

Kompany did well to divert the cross away from Nikica Jelavic but it dropped for Fellaini, who headed home at the second attempt at the far post after goalkeeper Joe Hart saved his initial effort.

That brought the game to life and City almost found an immediate equalizer as Tevez met Nasri's cross with a deft header that Howard did well to save.

Gareth Barry then chested down another cross from Nasri for Dzeko to turn and shoot but again Howard was alert.

Controversy followed the resulting corner as Dzeko tangled with Fellaini and went to ground.

Referee Lee Probert sparked immediate protests from Everton by pointing to the spot, and Tevez made no mistake as he stepped up to score.

Whether or not Fellaini was unfairly penalized, he almost produced the perfect response in the final moments of the first half with a glancing header from Steven Pienaar's cross, but Hart saved.

City upped the tempo at the start of the second half but again it took time before the chances came, aside from a shot from Tevez which was blocked by Phil Jagielka.

While Tevez also headed over, it was not until just after the hour that City seriously threatened again as Maicon burst down the field and forced Howard to parry a powerful 18-yard drive.

City decided to freshen up their attack by sending on Sergio Aguero, but the crowd were not happy that it was Tevez he replaced and boos rang around the ground.

The game became scrappy as Everton's hard-working defense did their best to repel City's threat.

Mario Balotelli replaced Dzeko and did inject some energy into the side, but sent his best effort wide.

Everton went close in stoppage time through Jelavic's free kick that Hart saved.