Samuel Eto'o says he's ready to return to the Cameroon national team after being asked by the country's government to end his boycott.

The 31-year-old striker said on his website Friday that he had made himself available again for selection ''on the request of the highest authority of the Republic.''

Eto'o met with Cameroon's Prime Minister, the minister of sports and also new coach Jean Paul Akon to discuss his return.

Having served a suspension for his part in a players' strike last year, the Russia-based striker refused to play in this month's 2-0 loss to Cape Verde in the final round of African Cup qualifiers as a further protest against poor organization.

Akon wanted Eto'o back for the decisive home leg against Cape Verde next month.