England manager Roy Hodgson has expressed his disappointment at John Terry's decision to quit international football.
Terry announced his international retirement on Sunday, the eve of his Football Association disciplinary hearing on a racism charge, with the Chelsea skipper claiming the case made his position with England "untenable".
The FA have denied that is the case but Hodgson will now lose the services of Terry, one of his best players at Euro 2012.
Hodgson said: "I'd like to thank John Terry for his commitment to the England team since I became manager.
"I am of course disappointed to lose a player of John's international experience and exceptional ability.
"I have enjoyed a good relationship with John during my time as England manager and I reluctantly accept his decision.
"I can also confirm that he had the courtesy to call me prior to the announcement of his retirement from the England team.
"I'd like to wish John well for the future with Chelsea.''
Terry effectively accused the FA of forcing his hand after they charged him over last October's altercation with QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, despite being cleared in court of a racially-aggravated public order offence over the same incident.
FA general secretary Alex Horne hit back on Monday, telling Sky Sports News: "I don't see how we've made it untenable - they're two very separate processes.
"It's something that happened in a match between QPR and Chelsea - it shouldn't be taking a year to resolve but we feel we're reaching a conclusion on that.
"That's a very different process, from my perspective, from our England procedures.
"They sit in different compartments and I could separate the two in my mind.
"But, unfortunately it doesn't look like he could.''
Horne was speaking as Terry's hearing in front of an independent FA panel began at Wembley. The case could last all week - a similar hearing involving Liverpool's Luis Suarez took four days.
Terry could face a lengthy ban if found guilty by the FA of using racist language during Chelsea's Barclays Premier League defeat at QPR on October 23 last year, a charge he categorically denies.
The 31-year-old was found not guilty in court in July, with the prosecution unable to prove he had called Ferdinand a "f****** black c***'' as an insult.
Terry admitted using the words, but insisted he had only been repeating words he thought Ferdinand had accused him of saying.
Terry said in his statement: "I am making this statement today in advance of the hearing of the FA disciplinary charge because I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me where I have already been cleared in a court of law, have made my position with the national team untenable.''
The FA thanked Terry for his England service.
A statement said: "Following his announcement that he is retiring from the England team, the FA would like to thank John Terry for all of his efforts with the national team over the past decade.
"During his 78 appearances John has always given his full commitment to the team.''