The Egyptian Football Association says the country's domestic league will resume in August after a seven-month suspension following a deadly riot at a stadium in Port Said earlier this year.

The Association's spokesman, Azmy Megahed, told The Associated Press Thursday the league will start Aug. 24 if the government approves security measures at the stadiums around the country.

The Interior Ministry wants video cameras and metal detectors installed at stadiums to help prevent a repeat of the riot that killed 74 fans at a game in the Mediterranean city in February.

The deadly incident shut down the domestic league, and while Egypt has played several international and continental club games at home, no fans were allowed to attend the matches.

Egypt has been wrecked by an endless political crisis since the fall of the long-time president Hosni Mubarak last year.