Palermo and Chievo played out an entertaining end-of-season 4-4 draw that saw Matias Silvestre rescue a last-gasp point for the home side.

With both free of relegation worries and with just a game remaining, there was never likely to be much at stake at the Stadio Renzo Barbera and so it proved as the two sides laid on a free-flowing exhibition.

Palermo took the lead through Fabrizio Miccoli's 10th-minute penalty, before the same player doubled their advantage nine minutes later.

Sergio Pellissier pulled one back (27) and Fernando Uribe levelled by striking within 60 seconds, before Sequeira Luciano and Pellissier made it four.

But Palermo would not be denied and mounted a spirited fightback of their own, with Miccoli - with his hat-trick goal - and then Silvestre finding the target.

The tone for what was an enthralling afternoon was set as early as the sixth minute when Miccoli's shot scraped over the bar, and it took just four more minutes for the same player to score from the spot after Luca Rigoni had brought down Giulio Migliaccio.

One became two shortly after, with Miccoli taking in Migliaccio's pass and finding the bottom corner from 12 yards.

The drama continued to the other end of the field, with Pellissier this time putting a penalty away after a handball by Eros Pisano.

And then, almost unbelievably, it was 2-2 inside 60 seconds as Uribe's hit from the centre of the box flew in.

Pellissier had the bit between his teeth and looked for an improbable third from a tight angle, while Igor Budan's header nearly put the home side back in front.

As it was, though, Chievo were ahead a minute after the interval, with Luciano doing the business from close range after a neat assist from Uribe.

The impressive Uribe and Pellissier then saw drives flash wide, while Budan kept up the pressure for Palermo, getting in another header that Stefano Sorrentino did well to keep out.

The same combination happened again close to the hour, while Miccoli also tried his luck, before Pellissier found his range with 72 minutes gone, finding the bottom left corner after a cross from Rinaldo Cruzado.

They were unable to sit on their two-goal advantage, however, as Miccoli wrapped up his hat-trick two minutes later when he took in Massimo Donati's pass.

And the game's second comeback was complete with a minute to go when, after a Miccoli corner, Silvestre was in the right place at the right time to convert.