Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has apologised for his conduct during his post-match interview with Sky Sports on Saturday as he faced questions about Luis Suarez's refusal to shake hands with Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

The 60-year-old Scot says he was not aware at the time that the Uruguayan, who was banned for eight matches after racially abusing Evra during the league game between the sides at Anfield in October, had not shaken hands with the Frenchman and said on Sunday that he had been assured by Suarez that a handshake would take place.

Suarez has also apologised for his conduct, while the club's managing director Ian Ayre said the South American had misled his employers by indicating he was going to shake Evra's hand.

Dalglish said in a statement released on the official Liverpool website on Sunday afternoon: "Ian Ayre has made the club's position absolutely clear and it is right that Luis Suarez has now apologised for what happened at Old Trafford," said Dalglish.

"To be honest, I was shocked to hear that the player had not shaken hands having been told earlier in the week that he would do.

"But as Ian said earlier, all of us have a responsibility to represent this Club in a fit and proper manner and that applies equally to me as Liverpool manager.

"When I went on TV after yesterday's game I hadn't seen what had happened, but I did not conduct myself in a way befitting of a Liverpool manager during that interview and I'd like to apologise for that."