Designated hitter David Ortiz intends to accept the offer of arbitration from the Boston Red Sox and stay with the team for at least the 2012 season, the Boston Herald reported Tuesday, citing a source.
The decision, which needs to be made before Wednesday's 11:59pm ET deadline, is crucial to the seven-time All-Star. Ortiz, who earned $12.5 million in 2011 and could get around $15 million in arbitration, is seeking a pay raise.
Ortiz, 36, had been hoping for a multi-year deal but that appears unlikely, the source said. According to ESPNBoston.com, Ortiz was looking for a two-year, 25 million deal, but prior to offering arbitration the Red Sox offered a two year, $18 million deal.
Earlier Tuesday, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he was not aware of any resolution to the situation.
"[We] remain hopeful he's on the team in 2012," Cherington said. "That's been our position all along. We haven't agreed to anything yet."
New Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine even traveled to the Dominican Republic, where Ortiz was hosting a charity golf tournament, to talk to the slugger.
"That speaks to me," Ortiz told The Boston Globe. "I'm impressed. That's good stuff."