11/09/2011 13:35 +0100 – The 24-year-old has spent much of the 18 months since he arrived at St James' Park from Coventry fighting his way back to fitness, and his repeated absences have hampered his efforts to establish himself on both the Premier League and international fronts. However, an injury-free start to the new campaign has helped him extend his impressive goalscoring record in the top flight. And he is determined to prove he is the man to ease the pain of Newcastle's so far fruitless search for a marksman and force his way back into Republic of Ireland reckoning. Best will head into Monday night's trip to promoted QPR having scored both goals in a 2-1 victory over Fulham last time out to take his tally to eight in 10 Premier League starts for the club. He said: "I have not played that many Premier League games, but it's good for me because the games I have played I have scored in. "It's a good ratio for me and I intend keeping that goals-to-games ratio the same. "I have had no injuries, touch wood, and got some goals as well, so I am very confident." Best and his fellow strikers spent much of the summer looking on as Newcastle were linked with a list of targets as boss Alan Pardew sought a replacement for Andy Carroll, who left the club in a £35million switch to Liverpool in January. Ultimately, the vacancy remained unfilled as the likes of Kevin Gameiro, Gervinho, Mevlut Erding, Modibo Maiga and Bryan Ruiz went elsewhere or opted to stay where they were. However, Best insists he was unfazed by the speculation and just carried on with the job of ensuring he was ready to take his chance when it came along. He said: "You have just got to get on with it, that's part of football. Whoever is coming to the club, they are coming to make the club better and make the team stronger." There is competition at international level too with West Brom duo Shane Long and Simon Cox having emerged as genuine back-up to Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle in recent months with Best's absence having seen him slip down the pecking order. But he remains ambitious to add to his seven caps and is convinced Giovanni Trapattoni will come calling once again, perhaps as early as next month's crucial Euro 2012 qualifiers against Andorra and Armenia, if he continues to produce for his club. He said: "If I keep scoring, even if the manager has forgotten about me, he's going to see me in the paper when he sees it and hopefully he will remember who I am. "I don't know why I haven't been called up. It's the same thing with Ireland - I have never really been given a good run, a good chance to prove that I am an international, as well as a Premier League, player. "But it will all come. If I do well for Newcastle and continue to score and play well and prove that I am a Premier League striker, then I should be given the chance to be an international." Trapattoni initially turned to Best at a time when he was finding life tough at Coventry, but his fortunes have changed markedly since. He said: "It's a funny game because when I was in my lows at Coventry and not knowing what was happening, I got an international call-up from him from nowhere, and that gave me the confidence to strive on. "Now I am at Newcastle doing well, but I am not playing international football. But I am doing well here and I am very happy with life at the minute."