MILAN – Talks resumed on Thursday in Milan in a bid to avert further strike action by Serie A footballers.
Last weekend's opening round of matches was postponed after the Lega Serie A and the Italian Players' Union (AIC) failed to sign a new collective bargaining agreement.
"Our optimism remains, as it did in previous days," said AIC president Damiano Tommasi. "The important thing will be the league's assembly.
"There is time to sign an agreement.
"Our aim is to go out on the pitch for the second round of games."
Following an international break, during which Italy's national team will face the Faroe Islands and Slovenia, the second round of fixtures is scheduled for September 11.
"We are doing everything possible so that the second round of games will be played," said Lega Serie A president Maurizio Beretta.
AIC are opposed to clubs trying to force players to move in the last year of their contracts and for coaches to force unwanted players to train away from the first team.
An old collective agreement expired at the end of the 2009/10 season and talks for its renewal continued throughout last campaign.