Souleymane Camara scored twice as Montpellier thrashed Rennes 4-0 to top the French league on Sunday while Brazilian midfielder Nene's second-half penalty gave Paris Saint-Germain its first victory this season by beating Valenciennes 2-1.

Montpellier already led 2-0 when Camara danced through the defense and finished with a curling shot in the 72nd, before again finding the net with a low strike in the 86th.

Montpellier midfielder Younes Belhanda gave the hosts a 1-0 lead from a penalty in the 31st after Rennes goalkeeper Benoit Costil had fouled Garry Bocaly. Winger Geoffrey Dernis doubled the lead with a powerful strike in the 52nd.

''We mustn't rest on our laurels,'' Montpellier coach Rene Girard told Canal Plus television. ''We must stay humble because things can change fast in football. There are some teams that are much better than us. What really matters is to take points.''

Marseille is still winless after drawing 0-0 with Saint-Etienne, and 10-man Sochaux held on to beat Nancy 2-1.

In Paris, winger Jeremy Menez led a counterattack in the 39th minute to slip a through ball for France striker Kevin Gameiro, who chipped Valenciennes goalkeeper Nicolas Penneteau for a 1-0 lead.

But Valenciennes midfielder Remi Gomis powered a header into the net to level on the stroke of halftime.

Nene ensured the big-spending PSG converted the 64th-minute spot kick after Valenciennes defender David Ducourtioux had handled the ball.

''It's greatly satisfying because we had to win at any cost,'' PSG coach Antoine Kombouare said. ''We stepped up, even if we were a bit shaky at the end of the match. But we managed to protect our lead.

''We fought hard for the victory and I hope it will unite the squad.''

Argentine playmaker Javier Pastore, who was signed by PSG for ?42 million from Italian club Palermo, made his league debut after coming off the bench in the 57th to replace Blaise Matuidi.

In Marseille, the hosts troubled the Saint-Etienne defense only once in a cagey first half.

Argentine midfielder Lucho Gonzalez's ball over the top was crashed against the post by forward Loic Remy's half-volley in the 17th.

Four minutes later, Marseille was denied a penalty when Saint-Etienne defender Jean-Pascal Mignot appeared to handle the ball in the box from a long throw-in.

''It's not a good start for a team contending for the title,'' Marseille fullback Jeremy Morel said.

Saint-Etienne was more daring in the second half.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang rounded the defense in the 56th and cut the ball back for midfielder Bakary Sako, whose snapshot from 10 yards hit the bar.

Sako's tame shot in the 72nd after having skipped past Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda allowed defender Nicolas N'Koulou to rush back and clear the ball.

Marseille substitute Andre-Pierre Gignac came close to finding the net in the 84th but goalkeeper Stephane Ruffier tipped his goal-bound header above the bar.

''We struggled to create chances,'' Mandanda said. ''But it's important that we have managed to stop leaking goals.''

Saint-Etienne was reduced to 10 men in the 85th when Mignot picked up a second yellow card.

In Nancy, the hosts' goalkeeper Damien Gregorini flapped at a corner in the 53rd and the ball fell for Sochaux defender Mathieu Peybernes to volley into the net.

Sochaux increased its lead in the 64th when Sloan Privat nodded in a free kick from Marvin Martin.

Sochaux was down to 10 men in the 67th when Brazilian defender Carlao fouled Nancy forward Paul Alo'o Efoulou. Youssouf Hadji converted the subsequent spot kick to pull one back for Nancy.

On Saturday, it was: Caen 1, Lille 2; Brest 1, Lyon 1; Nice 1, Toulouse 1; Bordeaux 1, Auxerre 1; Dijon 2, Lorient 0 and Ajaccio 1, Evian 1.