Arsenal look set to reluctantly accept a cut-price deal for wantaway captain Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.

The European champions had initially seen a £27million offer rebuffed earlier in the summer, as Arsenal remained steadfast in their demands over a £40million fee for their captain.

However, with Barcelona not willing to significantly up their cash bid, and Gunners manager Arsene Wenger admitting the player was unsettled, it now appears as if Arsenal will have to allow the deal to go through for less than they had wanted.

The package is reported to include a down payment of 30million euros (£27million), with an additional 6million euros (£5.2million) in performance-based add-ons at a later stage.

There are also suggestions Fabregas is prepared to waive the £4million compensation he would be entitled to for the remainder of his long-term Arsenal contract, as technically the player never asked for a transfer.

Fabregas had, officially at least, been struggling for match fitness because of a hamstring injury which saw him miss the club's Asia Tour and other pre-season games, while Wenger consciously omitted his captain from the Emirates Cup.

Were Fabregas, 24, to feature in next week's first leg of Arsenal's Champions League play-off against Udinese, the midfielder would be ineligible for any other side later in the competition.

Fabregas joined Arsenal for nothing from Barcelona in 2003, and has made more than 300 appearances, scoring 57 goals.

However, despite winning both the European Championships and World Cup with Spain, club success has not followed for the midfielder, who missed the Gunners' shock Carling Cup final defeat at Wembley through injury.

Arsenal could also sell France midfielder Samir Nasri, who has yet to agree a contract extension - with Manchester City ready to offer £22million for the midfielder, who could leave on a free next summer.

Valencia midfielder Juan Mata is a long-time target of Wenger.

Arsenal winger Andrey Arshavin accepts there is little any club can do when a player has his heart on a move away.

He said: "The loss of any one of them would be enormous, and we naturally want to see Cesc and Samir play with us in the future - but if the player wants to leave the club.... it is hard to say [whether they will stay]."

Wenger is determined to further bolster his squad following the £12million arrival of pacy forward Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from Southampton.

Costa Rican forward Joel Campbell is said to be close to a £1million move to the Emirates Stadium.

Defensive reinforcements are top of the agenda, with a £6million move for Birmingham's centre-half Scott Dann said to be imminent after Arsenal failed to complete a deal for Everton's Phil Jagielka or Gary Cahill from Bolton.

Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner, linked with Stoke, has yet to find a new club, while utility man Emmanuel Eboue is expected to sign for Galatasaray.

Wenger will be hoping his internationals return fit and well to London Colney, with reports Arshavin picked up a knock during Russia's friendly against Serbia in Moscow.

England duo Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere are already doubts for Saturday's Barclays Premier League opener at Newcastle because of ankle injuries, along with striker Robin van Persie, who is carrying a similar problem.