The 55-year-old former Tottenham boss has agreed an initial two-year contract with the option of a further 12 months and replaces Mark Hughes, who resigned last Thursday after just one season at the helm. Jol - whose hopes of taking charge of Fulham following Roy Hodgson's departure a year ago were blocked by Ajax - will have little time to settle into life at Craven Cottage as the west London club face the first of as many as eight Europa League qualifiers on June 30, after being awarded a place via the UEFA Fair Play standings. The Dutchman, though, is ready to meet the challenge head on. He told Fulham's official website: "It would be ridiculous to say that I am not happy with being in the Europa League. "Let's not forget, though, that can hinder you in the season, the last time Fulham were in the Europa League they were 12th in the table - but it is my hope that we can build a squad that is strong enough to compete in all of these competitions. "We have got over 30 players, we'll start with the younger pros as well - we've got a big group. "Not everybody will be back, but hopefully most of the people will be back and there won't be a lot of difference to playing a game after six days of training or three days of training. "It is a bit early, 30th June, so we have to work around it with good planning." Jol feels he has some unfinished business in the Premier League. "I could have gone to other counties, but I was waiting for the opportunity to come back to England," he said. Fulham had been linked with a £10million move for Espanyol striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. Jol, though, could face a battle to keep forward Clint Dempsey, with the American suggesting he was now eager for a taste of Champions League football, while out-of-contract midfielder Zoltan Gera has indicated he would be open to a return to former club West Brom.