Spain's King Juan Carlos called Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto to thank him for his efforts in helping catch the individuals who raped six Spanish tourists last week in the Pacific resort of Acapulco, Royal Household officials told Efe.

The king called Peña Nieto on Saturday to discuss the case.

The Mexican president has offered to provide "all the institutional support" that the state of Guerrero, where Acapulco is located, requests to catch those responsible for raping the tourists last Monday.

Guerrero authorities, who are responsible for investigating the case, said on Friday that they were close to arresting the perpetrators.

Gunmen raped six Spanish tourists around 3:00 a.m. last Monday in Playa Bonfil, located in the eastern section of Acapulco, one of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations.

The victims and several male companions were outside their bungalow when five masked assailants armed with handguns accosted the group.

After gagging the men, the attackers forced the group inside the bungalow and assaulted the six Spanish women, though they spared a Mexican woman who was with them.

The victims' ordeal lasted for about three hours and the assailants took PCs, cell phones, credit cards and other valuables when they left, officials said.

Acapulco, one of Mexico's most famous tourist destinations, has been plagued by drug-related violence in recent years.

The Guerrero state government launched a security operation in 2011 with the support of the federal government to step up security in areas frequented by foreign and domestic tourists.

"Operation Safe Guerrero" was launched on Oct. 6, 2011, in an effort to reduce the soaring crime rate in the state. EFE