An attack on Spanish troops outside the northwestern Afghan town of Ludina left one paratrooper wounded, the Defense Ministry said Wednesday.

The legionnaire paratrooper, identified as J.F.F., suffered wounds in both legs and was initially treated at the Spanish base hospital in Qala i Naw, although his life is not in danger, the ministry said.

The wounded man was later transferred to Herat, where the Spanish medical team will determine over the next few days whether to fly him back to Spain for medical care.

The last Spanish soldier to be wounded in Afghanistan was 20-year-old Javier Parraga, who was shot on July 9 during an attack outside the village Moqur in which at least seven Afghan insurgents were killed.

No casualties were reported in several attacks targeting Spanish troops last week.

On Aug. 17, two roadside bombs detonated near the same convoy in the Afghan town of Mangan, although no Spanish soldiers were killed or wounded.

A total of 1,500 Spanish soldiers are currently deployed in Afghanistan, most of them belonging to the Almogavares VI Paratrooper Brigade.

Defense Minister Pedro Morenes said last month he does not anticipate any change to the existing Afghanistan withdrawal timetable, which calls for draw-downs of 10 percent this year and 40 percent in 2013.

The remaining Spanish troops will be pulled out of Afghanistan by the end of 2014, under the current plan.

Morenes said in Madrid on July 17 that the Spanish government does not rule out an accelerated withdrawal from Afghanistan "if the situation, the safety of the troops and accord with the allies permits it."

Spain's difficult economic situation "counsels maximum rationalization" of the country's international efforts, he said then, also referring to plans to withdraw by year's end up to half of the 1,100 troops Madrid is contributing to the U.N. peacekeeping force in Lebanon. EFE