Cuban dissident Jorge Luis Garcia Perez, known as "Antunez", was freed Wednesday after four days in a police lockup in Villa Clara province, where, he told Efe, he had been beaten.
In a telephone conversation, Antunez said that he is free pending trial on charges of "spreading false news, resistance, disobedience and assault."
Antunez, secretary of the OZT Front, said that for those charges he could be sentenced up to 10 years behind bars and is "weighing" the possibility of going on a hunger strike to protest the accusation.
The 47-year-old dissident was arrested last Saturday in Placetas, Villa Clara, and was taken afterwards to the provincial police headquarters.
According to Antunez, police and state security agents "violently" arrested him a few meters (yards) from his home, and later at police headquarters he was beaten and insulted.
His wife, Iris Perez, received similar treatment when she went to police headquarters to find out about his detention.
"Everything indicates that this arrest, the beating and the imprisonment I suffered was a reprisal for my statement before the U.S. Congress," Antunez said in reference to his statement to the Senate last week by means of a teleconference from Havana.
He called it "significant" that as soon he was taken to police headquarters, the officers told him they had seen the video of his statement and said he "was going to pay dearly" for that.
Antunez left prison in April 2007 after serving a 17-year sentence for spreading enemy propaganda, attempted sabotage and other offenses.
Another prominent dissident, Darsi Ferrer, said Wednesday that he plans to leave Cuba on June 28 to join his family in the United States.
"I'll be traveling with the United States refugee program if all goes well. I already have my permit to leave Cuba," Ferrer told Efe.
The 42-year-old doctor's intention is to settle in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where his wife and son have lived since they left Cuba in April with the same program.
Ferrer, who was held for 11 months without charge in 2009-2010, said that leaving Cuba "is an extremely hard decision but there are things that make it necessary" like rejoining his family.
"I'm going with the peace given me by my conviction that the regime will soon fall - that gives me peace and helps me take this decision," he said.
Between 2010 and 2011 Ferrer denounced on several occasions the fact that immigration authorities on the island denied his family permission to travel to the United States - unless he agreed to leave with them.