Havana – Former political prisoner Angel Moya was released from jail without charge after being detained when he tried to participate in a march to demand respect for human rights in Cuba.
After attending a Mass in Havana, Moya said that he was arrested last Thursday in the central city of Santa Clara along with fellow dissident Guillermo Fariñas, and he added that before they released him the authorities warned him that they will not permit the march to take place.
Moya said that the aim of the march is to demand that the government publish the text of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which ratifies the international pacts upholding those rights, the release of political prisoners without conditions and the end of repression against opposition figures.
He also said that the organizers of the march had decided to call "a halt" to their plans so that all participants "may reflect on what could have been done and was not done."
Fariñas, after his own release last Friday, said that there had been a wave of arrests of dissidents in and around Santa Clara and other provinces including Sancti Spiritus and Cienfuegos.
Meanwhile, the spokesman for the illegal - but tolerated - Cuban Human Rights and National Reconciliation Commission, Elizardo Sanchez, said that he had confirmation that between last Thursday and Saturday about 110 dissidents had been detained in the central part of the country, most of them in Santa Clara.
According to Sanchez, on Sunday, almost all of the arrested opposition members were released without any charges being filed against them.
Moya was one of the "Group of 75" dissidents sentenced to long prison terms in the crackdown of March 2003.
An unprecedented Spanish-backed dialogue between the Cuban government and the island's Catholic hierarchy led in June 2010 to an agreement under which the 52 Group of 75 detainees then still behind bars were gradually released, along with other political prisoners.