MIAMI BEACH, FL - OCTOBER 17: The 7.9-meter small boat moves past the United States Coast Guard Cutter William Flores after it was launched from the launch ramp on the back of the ship on October 17, 2012 just off shore Miami Beach, Florida. The cutter is the third of a planned 58 Fast Response Cutters in the Sentinel Class as the U.S. Coast Guard continues to replace its aging fleet. On November 3, the USCGC William Flores will be commissioned into service in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)2012 Getty Images
MIAMI (AP) – Seven Cuban migrants, all with gunshot wounds, were interdicted at sea and taken to South Florida hospitals.
According to the Keynoter, the wounded Cubans were found Saturday afternoon.
The U.S. Coast Guard District 7 public affairs office told the newspaper the wounded were on a makeshift raft with another 19 migrants without injuries
The ones not needing medical attention will likely be repatriated. The injured were taken to Lower Keys Medical Center on Stock Island. Six were airlifted out to Miami trauma centers.
Earlier this year, authorities said Cuban migrants desperate to reach U.S. shore are increasingly violent and noncompliant with Coast Guard crews who detain them at sea, citing reports of attempted poisoning and self-inflicted wounds as rumors swirl that the "wet-foot, dry-foot" policy will soon be abandoned.