Costa Rican authorities reported that two flights, each carrying 118 Cuban migrants, departed Wednesday for Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, as part of an operation to let them resume their trek to the United States.

The flights took off from the Daniel Oduber international airport in the northern city of Liberia, the General Directorate for Immigration said.

With these two flights, now a total of three have departed for Mexico, the first of them on Tuesday carrying 113 people.

Costa Rica Foreign Minister Manuel Gonzalez told reporters that the first transfer of migrants was "successful" and that all the Cubans arrived without any problems at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Gonzalez and President Luis Guillermo Solis warned on Tuesday that if the Cubans do not fill up the planes being made available then the transfer operation will be abandoned and the transit visas Costa Rica issued to them will be revoked, a situation that would force San Jose to deport them.

The immigration crisis broke out on Nov. 15 when Nicaragua closed its border to the Cubans claiming that they posed risks for that country's security and sovereignty.

Since then, Costa Rica has authorized 7,802 temporary visas to the migrants, but on Dec. 18 it suspended the delivery of any more of those documents saying that it had exhausted its capacity to provide humanitarian aid to them.

Around 4,000 Cubans remain in the shelters established to house them awaiting inclusion in future flights to Mexico, which are slated to depart in the coming days. EFE