The New York Parole Board has denied for the eighth straight time the plea for release from jail filed by Mark David Chapman, the murderer of ex-Beatle John Lennon.

Chapman, 59, must wait another two years to make another bid for parole, after the three-member board in charge of reviewing his case spoke with the prisoner and again rejected his plea.

"This victim had displayed kindness to you earlier in the day and your actions have devastated a family and those who loved the victim," the panel said, recalling that the ex-Beatle had signed an autograph for him shortly before Chapman shot him.

Yoko Ono sent a letter to the board asking that Chapman not be freed and said that if he gets back on the streets, not only will she and Lennon's two sons live in fear, but that his own life would be in danger of a possible murder attempt by fans of the ex-Beatle.

Chapman gunned down the British rock star on Dec. 8, 1980, at the doors of the Dakota building where he lived across from New York's Central Park, a crime for which the killer was sentenced to between 20 years and life.

Since he completed the minimum sentence, Chapman has sought release from jail eight times - once every two years - starting in December 2000, but up to now his request has always been denied.

Lennon's killer is confined to Wende Correctional Facility in upstate New York, where he was moved two years ago from the equally high-security prison at Attica in the same state. EFE