At least nine Palestinians died Sunday in the city of Rafah, in southern Gaza, when the school set up as a shelter by the U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees was bombed, health officials in the coastal strip said, blaming Israel for the attack.

Israeli warplanes attacked the complex and dozens of people who were inside were wounded, Ashraf Al Qidra, the spokesman for the Health Ministry in Gaza, said.

Spokespeople for the Israeli army told Efe they had no information about the incident and that it is being investigated.

The UNRWA still has not issued a statement on the matter.

"In the 27 days the war in the Gaza Strip has lasted, Israel to date has killed 1,766 and wounded another 9,500, two thirds of whom are civilians, including women, children and elderly people," the Health Ministry in Gaza said in a statement.

Israel launched its Operation Protective Edge on July 8 in response to ongoing rocket attacks from Gaza by Palestinian militants.

Israel, meanwhile, said Sunday that the soldier who had been declared missing last week when a group of commandos with the Islamist Hamas movement tried to capture him and take him back to their territory in Rafah through one of the many tunnels they have dug under the border was dead.

That determination, which includes military, political and religious aspects, was made Saturday night by a special committee headed by the army's chief rabbi, the Israeli armed forces said in a statement.

All the relevant elements, medical, religious and others, have been taken into account" regarding Lt. Hadar Goldin, a distant cousin of Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon, the army said.

After two days of speculation on the social networks, the army on Sunday authorized publication of the family and personal relationship existing between Goldin's and Yaalon's families.

The death of Goldin, who was listed as missing on Friday, was confirmed by forensic testing performed at the scene of the fighting, according to an armed forces spokesman, adding that the soldier's family had already been informed.

The 23-year-old Goldin was stationed with the Guivati brigade in the southern part of Gaza when a suicide bomber detonated the explosives he was carrying near an Israeli military unit, killing two other soldiers, after which a firefight erupted with other members of the Hamas commando squad.

Amid the confusion, Goldin's commander noticed the lieutenant's absence and followed him into the tunnel from which the Palestinian militants had emerged, but he lost his trail and Israel then issued the announcement that he had been captured. EFE