The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, guerrilla killed over the weekend in fighting in the northwestern province of Antioquia was not 18th Front and Northwestern Bloc commander Alfredo Machado Alarcon, National Police chief Gen. Rodolfo Palomino said.
The Defense Ministry said Saturday that Machado, also known as Roman Ruiz, had been killed in fighting in a rural area outside Ituango, a city in Antioquia.
The FARC rebel who died in combat was Oscar Dario Posada, who served as Machado's security chief, Palomino told reporters on Sunday.
"I must correct the report. Let me make it clear to all Colombians that alias Roman Ruiz has not been killed, it was Oscar Dario Posada," Palomino said.
Security forces members initially concluded that Machado, considered one of the successors to rebel commander Ivan Rios, had been killed, but "when they took the body in for a full identification, it turned out that it was his security chief," the National Police director said.
The Defense Ministry said Saturday that Machado had been "neutralized" in an operation staged by police intelligence officers and army troops in La Armenia.
Machado is accused of carrying out at least 11 attacks between 2001 and 2002 in Tierradentro, Cordoba, and Taraza, Antioquia.
The 18th Front staged an attack on May 10 against a medical team in the city of El Bagre, killing a patient being transported in an ambulance.
Palomino took full responsibility for providing incorrect information to President Juan Manuel Santos and Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon.
The Santos administration and the FARC began holding peace talks on Nov. 19, 2012, in Havana.
Santos was re-elected on Sunday to a second term in a runoff election that was widely viewed as a referendum on his efforts to reach a peace agreement with Colombia's leftist rebel groups.
The 62-year-old Santos received 50.95 percent of the vote in Sunday's runoff election, while challenger Oscar Ivan Zuluaga got 45 percent of the ballots cast, the national elections commission said.
Santos, who ran as the candidate of the National Unity coalition, made reaching a peace agreement to end the conflict with Colombia's guerrillas the focus of his campaign.
The 55-year-old Zuluaga, who was backed by former President Alvaro Uribe, has been a harsh critic of the Santos administration's peace negotiations with the FARC.
The FARC, Colombia's oldest and largest leftist guerrilla group, declared a cease-fire from June 9 to June 30 and the smaller National Liberation Army, or ELN, rebel group said it would respect the election process but would not declare a cease-fire. EFE