A Thai satellite has spotted about 300 objects in a section of the Indian Ocean located about 200 kilometers (321 miles) from where an international team searched on Thursday for wreckage from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which crashed earlier this month with 239 people aboard.
The search had to be called off due to bad weather in the area, officials said.
The Thaichote satellite took photographs of the objects on Monday and the images were turned over to the government so it could provide them to Malaysia, the country coordinating the search operation, Thai Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency, or GISTDA, executive director Anond Snidvongs said.
This is the second time that objects fitting the same description have been spotted, with a French satellite identifying 122 objects on March 23 that were floating about 2,500 kilometers (more than 1,500 miles) southwest of Perth, Australia.
The search team planned to reach the 122 objects on Thursday, but a storm forced the cancellation of operations.
"The ships will remain in the search area and try to continue operations, but all the planes have returned," the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, or AMSA, said.
"The bad weather is expected to last about 24 hours," AMSA said.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 left Kuala Lumpur on March 8 at 12:41 a.m. and was scheduled to land in Beijing roughly six hours later, but it disappeared from radar screens less than an hour after takeoff.
Six countries, led by Australia, are participating in the search operation.
Seven military planes and five civilian aircraft are searching for wreckage from the Boeing 777-200 along with the Australian navy ship HMAS Success and the Chinese icebreaker Xue Long.
Flight MH370 - carrying 227 passengers, most of them Chinese, and a crew of 12 Malaysians - had enough fuel to fly for 7.5 hours.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Monday that the jet crashed in the southern Indian Ocean and all aboard were believed to have died.
Malaysia Airlines sent relatives of the plane's passengers and crew a text message before Najib's announcement informing them of what occurred and saying it regretted having to tell them that there were no survivors. EFE