A second suspect was ordered held without bail in connection with the death of a television cameraman who was struck in the head by a projectile last week while covering a protest here in Brazil's second-largest city.

Santiago Andrade, who worked for TV Bandeirantes, died Monday after spending four days in a coma.

The first suspect, Fabio Raposo Barbosa, was arrested Sunday.

Barbosa, 22, admitted Saturday on the Globo television network that he was carrying the rocket-style firework, as can be seen in television images of the protest, but he said that it was another person - the second suspect - who threw it.

Andrade was covering the protests against the hike in transport fares in downtown Rio de Janeiro last Thursday when he was hit by the firework.

President Dilma Rousseff lamented Andrade's death and said that freedom to demonstrate can "never" be used to kill.

"Freedom to demonstrate is a fundamental principle of democracy and it can never be used to kill, to injure, to attack or to threaten human lives, nor to destroy public or private patrimony," she said in a series of messages on Twitter.

A total of 117 journalists have suffered attacks or hostilities in Brazil from both police and demonstrators since last June when the nationalwide wave of protests began, according to the Brazilian Association of Investigative Journalism. EFE