A group of opposition demonstrators seized control of the Energy Ministry building in the Ukrainian capital on Saturday, while other protesters occupied a government headquarters in the city of Vinnytsia, local media reported.

The occupation of the Energy Ministry was carried out by members of the "Spilna Sprava" (Common Cause) movement, whose leader, Alexander Daniliuk, said guards did not repel the attackers.

Anti-government demonstrators, who have occupied Kiev's city hall and the Trade Unions House since November, when protests against President Viktor Yanukovych began, also seized control of the Agrarian Policy Ministry on Friday,

In the central city of Vinnytsia, a mob of anti-government protesters overwhelmed police and took control of a provincial government headquarters on Saturday.

Opposition lawmaker Andriy Shevchenko, of jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko's Batkivshchyna (Fatherland) party, said on Twitter that some 600 people attacked the building, where "explosions were heard."

The legislator acknowledged that those in charge of the government headquarters were forcibly removed by the demonstrators.

Clashes between demonstrators and riot police broke out this week in downtown Kiev. Authorities acknowledge that two protesters were killed, while the demonstrators put the death toll at five.

The Interior Ministry, meanwhile, said one police officer was shot dead Friday while returning home and another was stabbed.

The ministry also demanded the release of two police, saying they had been captured by protesters and taken to the Kiev city hall.

Anti-government protests, which had been mostly peaceful until Sunday, began in Ukraine in November after the government backed away from plans to ink a free-trade deal with the European Union.

Yanukovych later signed a $15 billion aid package with Russia and negotiated a deal to enable Ukraine, a former Soviet state, to purchase natural gas from its neighbor at a steep discount.

This week's street battles followed a massive anti-government demonstration on Sunday, when more than 100,000 people gathered in Kiev's Independence Square to demand that Yanukovych and Prime Minister Mykola Azarov resign and to denounce new anti-protest legislation passed earlier this month by ruling-party lawmakers that they say violates basic rights.

Demonstrators agreed Thursday to observe a truce while awaiting the results of talks between opposition leaders and Yanukovych.

The president on Friday, in a move seen as a concession to the protesters, pledged to reshuffle the government and rework the anti-protest laws. EFE