Four suicide bombers and an Afghan soldier died Wednesday in a Taliban attack staged near a U.S. base in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar, a police spokesman told Efe.
The attack occurred around 5 a.m. near the Torkham border post between Afghanistan and Pakistan, according to Hazrat Hussain.
The spokesman, who earlier had said that just three attackers had died, added that four other Afghan soldiers were wounded and that 20 trucks belonging to the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force were destroyed.
"There were no casualties among the ISAF forces, NATO spokesperson Laponbra Kinley told Efe.
This is the second attack on this particular base in the last four months.
Earlier in December, the Taliban launched a suicide attack on the Kabul international airport, which is the headquarters of the ISAF Joint Command.
On Tuesday, six ISAF soldiers died when their aircraft crashed.
The process of withdrawing international troops from Afghanistan is under way and is scheduled to conclude in late 2014. EFE