Three Taliban died Monday in an attack on a joint U.S.-Afghan military base in the eastern province of Nangarhar, an official told Efe.

The insurgents set off several explosions before dawn at a base in Torkham near the Pakistan border and clashed with security forces, Nangarhar police spokesman Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal said.

He said the three assailants were killed and that no casualties were suffered either among the civilian population or the Afghan security forces.

For its part, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said there were no victims among its troops.

"After setting off several explosions, the Taliban launched a massive direct attack, killing a large number of troops," insurgent spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told the local AIP news agency.

A Taliban assault last week on a joint U.S.-Polish base and Afghan government compound in the eastern province of Ghazni left 29 people dead and 62 wounded.

The withdrawal of ISAF troops will be completed in 2014, if present plans are carried out, though the international community is deciding whether to maintain a certain military presence on Afghan soil after that date. EFE