A dozen police and 70 Taliban died when insurgents attacked a convoy in the western Afghan province of Farah, the security forces said Monday.
Twenty-two other officers were wounded and five vehicles destroyed in Sunday's assault, a police chief in neighboring Herat province, Abdul Hamid, told Afghan news agency AIP.
Around 200 Taliban fighters took part in the attack, convoy commander Faridula Farahi said.
Taliban spokesman Mohamed Yusuf Ahmadi contacted AIP to claim responsibility for the attack.
He said the insurgents killed 15 police officers.
Nearly 100 people, 76 of them members of the Taliban, died in a battle earlier this month in the eastern province of Nagarghar.
More than 2,700 Afghan police have been killed by insurgents since April 1, according to figures released by the Interior Ministry.
The Afghan conflict is in one of its bloodiest phases as the country approaches the 12th anniversary of the U.S. invasion that toppled the Taliban.
The United States and its allies in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force are due to withdraw their troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014 and have begun the process of shifting responsibility for security to Afghan government forces.
Coalition troops suffered 95 fatalities in the first six months of this year, their lowest death toll for the same period since 2006, Web site iCasualties says.
Deaths among Afghan civilians, meanwhile, climbed 14 percent to 1,319 in the first half of 2013. EFE