Egypt: At least 525 dead, 3,717 wounded in nationwide clashes
Egypt's Health Ministry said that at least 525 people were killed and 3,717 were wounded in nationwide clashes following the violent dismantling of protest camps set up here by Islamist supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi.
The ministry's spokesman, Mohammed Fathallah, told state television that most of the bloodshed in Cairo occurred at the camp located in the Rabia al-Adawiyya Square, where 202 people died.
He did not provide specific casualty figures for other parts of the country, though he said the higher death toll - up by more than 100 from the previous bulletin - was due almost exclusively to more fatalities recorded in the capital.
While the provisional government imposed a month-long state of emergency and a dusk-to-dawn curfew Wednesday in 12 of Egypt's 27 provinces, acting Vice President Mohammed ElBaradei resigned.
Floods blamed for 116 deaths in Afghanistan
Two weeks of flooding across Afghanistan has left 116 people dead and 120 injured, the director of the country's emergency management agency said.
Women and children account for most of the casualties, Daim Kakar told the media.
The districts of Surobi and Shakardara, both in Kabul province, have been hardest hit, he said, while significant damage is reported in several central and eastern provinces as well as in the southern region of Kandahar.
Car bomb kills 20 in Lebanon
At least 20 people died and 200 were wounded when a car packed with explosives was detonated in a mainly Shi'ite Muslim neighborhood of the Lebanese capital.
The attack occurred in South Beirut near Martyrs' Square, which is used by the Shi'ite Hezbollah movement to hold events and meetings.
Responsibility for the attack was claimed by the group known as "Aisha the Mother of Believers Brigades for Foreign Missions" in a video posted on Islamist Web pages, but its authenticity has not yet been able to be verified.
Appearing in the video is a masked man who urges Lebanese citizens to stay away from the regions controlled by Hezbollah, since - he claims - additional attacks will occur there.
More than 500,000 have benefited from Deferred Action
The U.S. government announced that it has suspended the deportation of 552,918 undocumented young people since the Deferred Action program went into effect a year ago.
The government has received a total ot 573,404 requests under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, an immigration program implemented by the Obama administration on Aug. 15, 2012, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
The program suspends for two years the deportation of qualified undocumented youths and young adults who entered the United States as minors.
USCIS figures do not break down the DACA applicants by national origin, but a study by the Brookings Institute found that 74.9 percent come from immigrants from Mexico, followed by 10 percent from Central American immigrants and 6.9 percent from South American immigrants.
Exiles say Bahamas deported 24 refugees to Cuba
A Cuban exile group in Miami said that the Bahamian government deported 24 refugees who had been detained in that Caribbean country back to Cuba, many of whom had already been granted asylum by Panama.
"It's a deceitful act and (has) the intention of hiding the torture of human beings. The prime minister of the Bahamas, Perry Christie, repatriated in a surprising way 24 Cubans to Cuba, many of whom had already received a visa to travel to Panama," the Democracy Movement said in a communique.
The organization accused Christie of "going back on his word with the intention of hiding (the fact) that the detainees had been seriously tortured by a group of guards" at the Immigrant Detention Center in Nassau.
Last Sunday, the Panamanian government had granted asylum to 19 undocumented immigrants being held in the abovementioned center, after receiving a request to do so from the Democracy Movement.
1 Dead, 5 missing in China as result of Typhoon Utor
One person died and five others are missing in China after the passage of Typhoon Utor, which made landfall in the southern province of Canton bringing heavy winds and torrential rains, the official news agency Xinhua said.
The victims were residents of the city of Maoming, one of the urban areas most affected by the storm.
In the same city, authorities had evacuated more than 88,000 residents before Utor arrived, especially those citizens who live on boats, in improvised shelters or in other unstable structures.
In the districts of Zhanjiang and Wuchuan, located in the same province, several villages were flooded when containment dikes along the Quehua River overflowed, but no casualties were reported.
3 Brazilian men convicted of raping tourist in a microbus
A Brazilian court found three men guilty of raping a female U.S. tourist in a microbus in Rio de Janeiro last March, authorities said.
Two of the men, Jonathan Froudakis de Souza and Walace Aparecido Souza Silva, each were sentenced to 49 years, three months and 11 days in prison for robbery, rape and extortion, according to a communique issued by the Rio Justice Tribunal, where the trial was held Wednesday evening.
The other accused man, Carlos Armando Costa dos Santos, received a sentence of 21 years, seven months behind bars on charges of rape and extortion.
The trio were driving around the city in an illegal microbus, which they used as a cover with the aim of robbing passengers who boarded it in the tourist neighborhood of Copacabana.
Spain's richest woman dies
Rosalia Mera, co-founder of clothing and retail giant Inditex and Spain's richest woman, died after suffering a stroke, doctors said. She was 69.
Mera was rushed to the hospital Wednesday night after falling ill while vacationing on the Mediterranean island of Menorca.
She was airlifted early Thursday to a clinic here in the northwestern city of La Coruña, her hometown.
Forbes magazine estimated Mera's fortune at 4.7 billion euros ($6.1 billion), describing her as the world's wealthiest self-made woman.