The government of the Bahamas committed itself Friday to prosecuting the officials who beat undocumented migrants and to consider allowing detained migrants from Cuba to apply for political asylum, Cuban exile groups in Miami said.

"We announce that the Bahamas has agreed to comply with the three points that our organizations" requested, the Democracy Movement and Agenda Cuba said in a communique.

The two organizations demonstrated July 19 in waters of the Port of Miami in front of cruise ships that sail to the Bahamas, in protest aganst the abuse of undocumented immigrants, mostly Cubans, who land in that country en route to the United States.

Jesus Alexis Gomez, who on Friday had been on a hunger strike for a week, is the Cuban-American activist who shot the pictures that went viral on the Internet, in which a Bahamian detention center official is seen "kicking the detainees."

Activists of both organizations and U.S. Rep. Joe Garcia (D-Fla.) met this Thursday with officials of the Bahamian Consulate in Miami and reached an "accord that is satisfactory for both sides," the communique said.

The agreement apparently includes the immediate release from a high-security prison of all undocumented migrants who were taken there to "hide the beatings" they received, and their move to an immigrant detention center.

The Bahamas government also promised to begin a disciplinary administrative process against "those who gave the beatings," and to apply international conventions to the 44 detained Cubans to determine whether they qualify for political asylum.

Gomez is expected to end his hunger strike once the Bahamian authorities hand over to the Cuban exile groups the document containing the bilateral agreement.

The Cuban activist managed to enter the detention center in the Bahamas with his smartphone and made videos of the officials mistreating Cuban migrants, according to Democracy Movement president Ramon Saul Sanchez. EFE