Political strife in Egypt leaves 17 dead


The Egyptian army deployed tanks around Cairo's Tahrir Square after violent clashes between supporters and foes of deposed President Mohammed Morsi left 17 people dead nationwide.

Fighting broke out in Cairo when Morsi partisans tried to reach Tahrir, where thousands of people were gathered to celebrate the military's decision on Wednesday to oust the Islamist president, state news agency Mena said.

Morsi's Islamist supporters have held protests since Wednesday's coup, when the armed forces suspended the constitution and named Adli Mansour, the head of the Supreme Constitutional Court, as interim head of state pending fresh elections.

The military acted following days of massive anti-government protests. Critics accused Morsi and the Brotherhood of doing little to address poverty and Egypt's struggling economy, of failing to advance the goals of the 2011 revolution that forced out strongman Hosni Mubarak and of seeking to monopolize power.




Pope Francis approves sainthood for John Paul II


Pope Francis has given final approval to the canonization of two of his predecessors, John Paul II and John XXIII, the Vatican said.

The pontiff recognized the validity of a second miracle attributed to John Paul, a prerequisite for sainthood.

In the case of John XXIII, however, Francis invoked his authority to waive the requirement of a second miracle and allow the canonization to proceed without it. No date has been set for the canonization ceremony, but Vatican spokesman said it will probably come toward the end of the year.




7 Youths gunned down in southern Mexico


Seven males ranging in age from 12 to 24 were fatally shot in the southern Mexican town of Coyuca de Benitez, the Guerrero state Attorney General's Office said.

Municipal police received a call around 6:00 p.m. Thursday about the presence of dead bodies along an area river, the AG's office said in a statement.

At the site, police found six people dead and two others wounded. All eight had been shot in the head. One of the injured - a boy of 12 - died later en route to the hospital, while the other remains in serious condition.




Murray advances to 2nd straight Wimbledon final; Djokovic awaits


Scotland's Andy Murray rallied from a set down to defeat Poland's Jerzy Janowicz 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 in the Wimbledon men's semifinals, advancing to his second straight final at the All England Club and moving one step closer to becoming the first British men's singles champion at this prestigious event in 77 years.

His victory earned him a spot in the final against Serbian world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, who won an epic five-setter against Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro earlier Friday 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-7 (6-8), 6-3.

The Serbian won the 2011 Wimbledon title with a four-set victory over Spain's Rafael Nadal in the final, while Murray lost last year's final - also in four sets - to Switzerland's Roger Federer.

Sunday's showdown will be the fourth Grand Slam championship match between the two 26-year-olds.




Bolivian: Would Europeans have held Obama's plane?


The European countries involved in this week's diversion and subsequent search of Bolivian President Evo Morales's plane would not have acted likewise toward another head of state, a member of Bolivia's government suggested here.

"Would they have done the same with the plane of (U.S. President Barack) Obama, or that of some other power such as England?," Bolivia's anti-corruption minister, Nardi Suxo, asked rhetorically during remarks at Madrid's Casa de America.

The Bolivian presidential aircraft spent 13 hours on the ground in Vienna as Austrian authorities searched the plane for former U.S. intelligence contractor Edward Snowden, who has released documents exposing Washington's massive surveillance of global telephonic and Internet communications.

Morales did not arrive back in Bolivia until nearly midnight Wednesday, more than 24 hours after he left Moscow, where he attended a conference of gas-exporting nations. The diversion to Vienna came after Portugal, France and Italy barred the plane from their airspace, apparently on suspicion that Snowden was onboard.




Drug case against Mexican army brass collapses


Four high-ranking Mexican military officers were released from custody after the case against them for alleged collusion with a drug cartel fell apart.

Gens. Ricardo Escorcia, Ruben Perez Ramirez and Roberto Dawe and Lt. Col. Silvio Isidro Hernandez walked out of Altiplano prison before dawn.

Another officer charged in the cartel case, retired Gen. Tomas Angeles Dauahare, was freed on April 17 due to lack of evidence. The four men released Friday spent more than a year in custody on accusations they aided the now-defunct Beltran Leyva drug cartel.

The case was initiated during the 2006-2012 administration of President Felipe Calderon, who gave the armed forces the leading role in the struggle with the cartels.