A clandestine group of the far left claimed responsibility Saturday for the suicide attack carried out Friday on the United States Embassy in Ankara, in which two people died.
In a note posted on the social network Facebook, the Revolutionary Front for Popular Liberation Party, or DHKP-C, said the United States was the direct target of its attack because of its policies in Iraq, Syria, Egypt and Libya.
After describing the Turkish citizen who died in the attack as a "servant of the United States," the clandestine group said the suicide bomber wanted to be remembered as Alisan and that he only used his real name, Ecevit Sanlit, for official or formal purposes.
Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Guler said Saturday that the bomber had been identified by family members.
Sanli was released from jail in the year 2001 after going on a hunger strike and being diagnosed with cancer, after which he disappeared from the public view until now.
Also killed in the attack besides the suicide bomber was an embassy guard, while another three people were wounded, one of them seriously. EFE