At least 22 people - 20 civilians and two police - were killed Saturday in clashes in Egypt between police and supporters of a group of defendants who were sentenced to death for their role in soccer riots last year.

Medical officials told Efe that 200 people also were wounded in the disturbances near the prison in the Mediterranean city of Port Said.

The director of Port Said's hospitals department, Abderrahman Farah, said most of those killed in the clashes died of gunshots, though two deaths were attributed to internal hemorrhaging.

Army troops were deployed to restore order and stability in the Mediterranean city, just hours after the military was sent to the nearby seaport city of Suez.

The clashes in Port Said erupted after a Cairo court on Saturday sentenced 21 people to death for a soccer massacre that followed a February 2012 Egyptian league game between local team Al-Masry and Cairo club Al-Ahly at Port Said stadium.

A total of 74 people were killed and more than 1,000 were injured in the Feb. 1, 2012, soccer riots, when Al-Masry fans stormed the field after their team's 3-1 win and attacked the rival club's fans with knives and clubs.

After the sentencing, family members of the defendants and radical Al-Masry supporters tried to force their way into the prison and battled the security forces with firearms and Molotov cocktails.

The Egyptian Interior Ministry said automatic weapons and even heavy weaponry were used, without offering further details.

This new outbreak of violence comes a day after nine people died and 584 were wounded, according to Health Ministry figures, in nationwide disturbances Friday to mark the second anniversary of the uprising that ultimately toppled President Hosni Mubarak.

Eight people were killed in Suez and one other fatality occurred in the nearby city of Ismailia, while the largest numbers of wounded were registered in the governorate of Cairo (172), followed by Alexandria (102), Suez (89) and Ismailia (77). EFE