State-controlled oil company Petrobras said it found light oil in northeast Brazil's offshore Sergipe-Alagoas basin.

The reserves were found during drilling at the Cumbe well, located about 105 kilometers (65 miles) off Aracaju, the capital of Sergipe state, at a depth of 2,328 meters (7,632 feet), Petrobras said in a statement.

The discovery of "good quality" petroleum is the fifth announced by the company this year and the second reported in less than a week in the same region.

The well is being drilled by a consortium whose partners are Petrobras, with a 60 percent stake and which serves as the operator, and IBV do Brasil, the holder of the remaining 40 percent interest. EFE