Three guerrillas were killed and six others captured in a military strike on the rebel unit suspected of knocking out electricity to Colombia's main Pacific port, Defense Minister Juan Carlos Pinzon said.

The raid targeted the Manuel Cepeda Vargas Front of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, the minister said.

The FARC's Vargas Front was blamed for last Friday's attack on an electric pylon that blacked out the port city of Buenaventura, located in the southwestern province of Valle del Cauca, and for bombings hours earlier affecting Ricaurte, Barbacoas and Tumaco, towns in neighboring Nariño province.

Insurgents also dynamited two small hydroelectric plants in Valle del Cauca.

Marines carried out the operation against the Vargas Front in a rural area near Buenaventura, Pinzon told reporters in Cali, the capital of Valle del Cauca, where the minister traveled to oversee the response to last week's attacks.

Besides the killed and captured rebels, the raid netted "abundant" war materiel, he said.

Separately, security forces detained one man and found a rifle, 150 grenades and other ordnance intended for a FARC unit in the southwestern province of Cauca, the defense minister said.

A police officer and two soldiers were killed in other FARC attacks over the weekend. EFE